Questions? Need Help?

Beulah office:
(231) 882-4462

Benzonia office:
(231) 882-4476


What to do if your computer has been compromised.

  • Immediately cease all activity from computer systems that may be compromised. Unplug the Ethernet or cable modem connections to isolate the system from remote access.
  • Immediately contact the bank so that the following actions may be taken as a priority to contain the incident:
    • Online access to the accounts to be disabled.
    • Online Banking passwords changed.
    • New account(s) opened as appropriate.
    • Request the bank's agent review all recent transactions and electronic authorizations on the account.
    • Additionally, ensure that no one has requested an address change, title change, PIN change or ordered new cards, checks or other account documents be sent to another address.
  • Find customer service or fraud prevention contact telephone numbers on monthly statements. 
  • File a police report with the local police department and provide the facts and circumstances surrounding the loss.  Obtain a police report number with the date, time, department, location and officer's name taking the report or involved in the subsequent investigation. Having a police report on file will often facilitate dealing with insurance companies, banks, and other establishments that may be the recipient of fraudulent activity. The police report may initiate a law enforcement investigation into the loss with the goal of identifying, arresting and prosecuting the offender and possibly recovering losses.
  • Maintain a written chronology of what happened, what was lost and the steps you took to report the incident to the various agencies, banks and firms impacted. Be sure to record the date, time, contact telephone number, person spoken to, and any relevant report or reference number and instructions.
  • Realize that if you carry out personal online banking from the business computer system, there are also potential identity theft aspects to the compromise. Review the recommendation at the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft website.
  • Dependent on law enforcement investigative and forensic considerations, you may want to have your network and systems reviewed by a qualified computer forensic/information security professional.
  • Reporting
    • Besides reporting the matter to local law enforcement agencies, contact their local FBI field office or file a complaint online at